The OnLive® Game Service is a groundbreaking on-demand video game platform capable of delivering the latest and most advanced games instantly over a broadband connection. You can play on your TV via the OnLive Game System or on virtually any PC or Mac® via a small browser download. The OnLive Game Service creates an entirely new way to play, watch, share and demo premium games from the world’s leading publishers.
OnLive is different from any other game platform, and it uses technology in a dramatically different way. Instead of elying on you having the latest hardware, all the cpu-intensive work is done on OnLive’s servers and you just need a basic hardware configuration and a decent broadband connection.
OnLive has now released an iPad app called OnLive Viewer — but it doesn’t yet play games. A full iPad app from OnLive will certainly be popular with those folk who have bought an iPad for playing games on, especially as it would allow you to control and play any PC game (from the catalogue available on OnLive – growing all the time) directly on your iPad.
What the app does support is OnLive’s social networking features, so you can make and contact your friends on the service from the app, and see what they’re up to while online. You can also watch “Brag Clips,” which are uploaded videos of other people’s gameplay, and you can even stream straight from certain live games on the service.
The OnLive approach is certainly innovative and having looked around their site and downloaded the Mac application (on My MacBook Pro laptop) the action certainly seems to be smooth. I will definitely try the free play mode (you get 30 mins play for free) and report back how it goes. In the meantime, why not check it out for yourself. Whether it can compete with Steam is another matter.
- OnLive iPad app now available, but doesn’t support gameplay streaming yet (tuaw.com)
- OnLive releases iPad app for spectating live games (macworld.com)
- OnLive launches iPad/Android tablet game spectator app (news.bigdownload.com)
- OnLive iPad App Lets You Watch Games, Promises Much More (nytimes.com)
- OnLive launches game spectating on iPad along with Windows 7 apps (slashgear.com)
- OnLive to offer iPad app and movies (techradar.com)
- OnLive Releases IPad App for Spectating Live Games (pcworld.com)
- OnLive Lands on iPad, May Stream Windows Apps (technologizer.com)
- OnLive brings game viewing to iPad, Android – full gaming coming soon (intomobile.com)
- Cloud Services Let Gadgets Punch above their Weight (technologyreview.in)
- The OnLive Viewer iPad/Android App Shows What The Future Might Be For Mobile Computing (crunchgear.com)
- OnLive Has “No Agenda” To Take On Netflix (crunchgear.com)
- Gear Games News: Steam Opens Massive ‘Treasure Hunt’, OnLive Offers iPhone ‘Viewer’, Unveils Plan to Stream Movies (geardiary.com)