Apple announced, as expected, a revamp of its iPod range. The iPod touch now starts at £169.
With a new sleeker look, the new model packs more features at a lower price. The snazzy looking curved design certainly looks better the previous range. it also includes a built-in speaker for what Apple refers to as ‘casual listening’. The new design also is compatible with the Nike + iPod sensor system, so you can keep fit whilst listening to your favourite tunes.
It also boasts a longer battery life, with up to 36 hours of audio play back or 6 hours of video, shown on its 3.5 inch wide-screen Multi-touch display. The screen has a 480 x 320 – pixel resolution at 163 pixels per inch.
As for the video capabilities:
TV and video
- Support for 480p and 576p component TV out
- H.264 video, up to 1.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Low-Complexity version of the H.264 Baseline Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; H.264 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Baseline Profile up to Level 3.0 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
One of the biggest features (at least Apple is hoping we will all think it is) is the App Store. With its Multi-touch screen and internal accelerometer, 3D graphics capability and 3D surround, Apple is hoping the new touch will be a big seller. f the success of the App Store on the iPhone is anything to go by, Apple has no need to worry, as long as they have no repeat of the glitches they had previously of course. Hopefully the new iPhone software has put that issue to rest.
Available in three versions:
1. An 8GB version at £169 and capable of holding 1, 750 songs or 10 hours of video.
2. A 16GB version, at £219 and capable of holding 3,500 songs or 20 hours of video, and finally
3. A 32GB version, at £279 and capable of holding 7,000 songs or 40 hours of video.
Other than the price, no surprises there then.
Another feature Apple would like us all collectively to go ga-ga over is the Genius feature, that creates a playlist by putting songs together that it thinks work well together. You can play this playlist right away, save it for later or tell your on-board Genius to have another stab at it.
Well this is not meant to be an exhaustive list. For that you need to go over to the Apple site and read all about for yourself.