He refers it to as something that brings together a Macbook and an iPad. He talks about the new unibody construction of the Macbook Air. They decided to do this so that they could have a thin notebook but still have a rigid body.
It has a full-size keyboard and trackpad, with no optical drive or hard drive. Solid State Storage is 2 x faster than hard drives, more reliable and 90% smaller, quieter and lighter – all great features for a notebook. Apple is the world’s largest user of flash memory. The flash memory is ‘bare’ and not in a SSD case. They are placed directly on the logic board to create more space for the batteries. You can have up to 256GB storage in the top-end model.
With 7 hours battery time for wireless web time (5 hours on the smaller model) and 30 days standby is another feature Steve promotes in his presentation.The battery is a large part of the interior hardware.
It also comes with a Facetime camera, just like the iPhone. There are two versions, a 13.3 inch and 11.6 inch (2.9 pounds and 2.3 pounds)
- 11.6 inch, 1.4GHz, 64GB for $999
- 11.6 inch, 1.4GHz, 128GB for $1199
- 13.3 inch,1.86GHz, 128GB for $1299
UK prices unkown but expect almost parity (i.e. £999, £1199 and £1299).
They are also much greener, being mercury free, PVC free, arsenic free and highly recyclable.
Steve expresses great pride in the new models (doesn’t he always) and the new models are available to order right now…. once the Apple Store is back online.
- The Newer, Smaller MacBook Air: The Storage Is the Secret? [Rumor] (gizmodo.com)
- 11.6-inch MacBook Air detailed (engadget.com)
- How Apple Will Do Multitouch On Macs [Apple] (gizmodo.com)
- Louis Gray: Apple’s iPad shaking up hard drive industry – report (appleinsider.com)
- New MacBook Air: Faster, Lighter, Instant On, 30 Day Standby Power [Apple] (gizmodo.com)
- “Where will new MacBook Air fit in Apple’s range?” and related posts (pocket-lint.com)
- Will Apple’s New MacBooks Finally Include Built-In 3G? (AAPL, VZ, T) (businessinsider.com)
- Next MacBook Air may focus on iPad-like responsiveness (electronista.com)
- Apple to announce new Macbook Air, new iLife suite and a mystery product (manolith.com)
- MacBook Air Apparent: I Have Never Used My Computer’s Optical Drive (techcrunch.com)
- Report: the iPad Taking Byte from Hard Drive Sales (cultofmac.com)
- What to Expect From Apple’s Mac Event (wired.com)
- How Apple’s MacBook Air Refresh Will Slay Optical Drives, Make You Reconsider Hard Drives (fastcompany.com)
- Is the New MacBook Air the First Apple Netbook? (technologizer.com)
- Is the New MacBook Air the First Apple Netbook? (pcworld.com)
- Tomorrow’s Macs, Dan Knight, Mac Musings (lowendmac.com)
- New MacBook Air Could Bridge iPad-MacBook Gap (pcworld.com)
- “Apple discussion board headings confirm update iLife, MacBook Air products” and related posts (powerpage.org)