Not everything that is useful costs money. Devon Technologies, makers of great Mac software such as DEVONthink, DEVONagent and DEVONnote, is offering 4 utilities for free. In the past I have used all four and found them to be useful additions to my armoury of utilities. You may not find yourself using them all of the time but I can guarantee that you will find at least one of them useful and as they are all free it’s hard to resist downloading them anyway.
XMenu adds one or more global menus to the right side of the menu bar. They give you access to your preferred applications, folders, documents, files, and snippets. Launch any application or insert text snippets or URLs into your email messages or Pages documents with a single menu choice.
- No need for configuration
- Six predefined folders: Applications, Developer Applications, Home, Documents, User-Defined, and Snippets
- Keeps all your snippets and text modules handy
- Operates as a menu extra, requires no hacks or extensions
- Ideal replacement for Dock folders in Mac OS X 10.5
Think Mac OS X’s Spotlight could use some help, especially when searching for text files? Download EasyFind, an alternative to (or supplement of) Spotlight and find files, folders, or contents in any file without indexing. EasyFind is especially useful for those tired of slow or impossible indexing, outdated or corrupted indices, or those just looking for features missing in the Finder or Spotlight.
- Boolean operators, wildcards, phrases
- Extended Boolean operators, similar to DEVONthink and DEVONagent
- Immediate searches, no indexing required
- Finds invisible files and files inside packages (something Spotlight doesn’t do)
- Displays the location of each file in a separate column
- Previews files using Quick Look (Mac OS X 10.5 or later)
- Provides contextual menus and services
- Supports drag-and-drop
- Very responsive, thanks to multithreading
- Uses very little memory
PhotoStickies gives you unique access to your favorite pictures. Use PhotoStickies to put all your favorite pictures on your desktop in the form of floating (even borderless) stickies. You may pull pictures for these stickies from your hard drive, or the Internet. PhotoStickies also displays webcam images live on your desktop, updating them automatically. You can even use PhotoStickies to record web cams for later viewing, or make a web cam your desktop picture.
- Displays all image formats supported by Mac OS X
- Displays images from your hard drive or the web
- Shows images as stickies or as your desktop wallpaper
- Edit images using live effects, like transparency or color correction
- Record streaming webcam images for later viewing
- Discover new places with an Internet-based list of webcams
- Can run as a menu extra
- Convert and resize images as a batch
- Pre-configure desired size, quality, sharpening, and anti-aliasing
- Scale images by percentage or maximum size
- Can be used as ultra-fast image converter (scaling = 100 percent)
- Creates preview pictures ofQuickTime movies
Use ThumbsUp to quickly create thumbnails for use on your website, or for emails restricted by file attachment size limitations.
You can download the from their site at http://www.devon-technologies.com/products/freeware/
- Day of the Freeware: DEVONtechnologies Updates Freeware (themactrack.com)
- DEVONtechnologies offers four free Mac utility apps (tuaw.com)
- Prepared for DEVONthink To Go: DEVONthink and DEVONnote 2.0.4 (themactrack.com)
- DevonThink To Go Puts Your Knowledge in Your Pocket (pcworld.com)
- The Mobile Mac Office – Part I: Going Paperless | The Apple Press (theapplepress.com)
- Devonthink Comes To iOS With Devonthink To Go (cultofmac.com)
- Faceoff: DEVONthink Pro Office vs. Evernote Premium: Apple “ (gigaom.com)