Flare for Mac from Iconfactory is available from the Mac App Store for £5.99 and there is a 15-day free trial. It’s a photo-editor that comes with lots of features and built-in effects. Features available include:
- Midtone brightness
- Saturation, Brightness, Contrast
- Color filter
- Color gradient
- Black & white
- Gaussian blur
- Motion blur
- Zoom blur
- Rounded edges
- Barrel distortion
I have been using the trial for a few days now and on the whole the software has a lt going for it.
Negatives so far:
- Slow – I am using a MacBook Pro 2.26 GHz with 4GB 1067 DDR3 RAM so I expected it to be quicker when applying effects (using clear all effects option)
- Screen refresh – I don’t like how the whole screen refreshes when you switch between the different modes
- Also, the undo doesn’t seem to work (for presets) and its only accessible from the menu rather than an on-screen button (like in edit mode using
- No levels editing or curves
- Simple interface – even novices shouldn’t get lost!
- Nice set of presets with extra ones downloadable from the vendor’s site
- Ability to layer effects
- Snapshots feature – save at any point to create a snapshot that can be (re)applied later to the same or other images
- Ability to export to Flickr, your Mac or in an email
- Availability of textures which can be edited
So on the whole its an interesting piece of software and if you don’t have a basic photo-editor then I can recommend it. Hopefully the developers will sort out the minor bugs and improve the interface in those areas where its lacking somewhat.
Visit http://flareapp.com/ for more info.