Apple is now the No. 1 brand in the world, having overtaken Google, at least according to the annual ‘BrandZ‘ report from WPP-owned research agency Millward Brown. According to the report, Apple’s value grew by a massive 84% over the previous 12 months, whilst Google’s declined by 2%. Apple is now worth over $153 billion, whilst Google lags somewhat behind at a ‘mere’ $111.5 billion.
Interestingly, of the top ten brands, Google was the only one to decline. The next best performance in terms of growth was the number 4 brand, McDonald’s, which grew by 23% to $81 billion. The top ten brands are now worth a staggering $2.4 trillion! That’s an awful lot of iPads or double quarter pounders!
The growth in the value of these corporate behemoths shows that the world’s economy s on the up, at long last. Another interesting trend that is highlighted in the report is the growing importance of companies from China, Brazil and India. As well as being important markets for western companies, they are also producing home-grown corporations such as China Mobile, at No. 9 and worth over $57 billion, an increase of 9% over 2010.
Also, its clear that technology brands dominate, with a third of the top 100 brands being technology companies. Of the top ten, 7 are technology companies. Even non-tech companies though are increasingly dependent on technology and tech companies, with the growing importance of socia media such as Twitter and the dominance of Google. Even in China, the home-grown search engine, Baidu, which is China’s largest search engine and is worth already an impressive $22.5 billion, ranking 29.
- Apple Becomes World’s Most Valuable Brand, Says WPP’s BrandZ (abusetta.wordpress.com)
- Apple Ousts Google As Most Valuable Global Brand (searchengineland.com)
- How Apple became the world’s most valuable brand (tech.fortune.cnn.com)
- What is the most valuable brand in the world? (valueacceleration.wordpress.com)
- Apple usurps Google’s place as worlds most valuable brand (theglobeandmail.com)
- Apple ranks as world’s most valuable brand (troyrecord.com)
- 2011 Most Valuable Global Brands – Apple, Google, IBM & others (bubblecube.wordpress.com)
- Apple is top of the tree in brand war (thesun.co.uk)
- BrandZ global report puts Apple at #1 most valuable brand for the first time (tuaw.com)
- Apple has toppled Google as the world’s most valuable brand (guardian.co.uk)
- Is Baidu Phoning It In? (fool.com)
- Top 100 Most Valuable Global Brands 2011 (viralblog.com)
- Everyone Loves China’s Baidu, Especially Robin Li (blogs.forbes.com)