The rumour mill has been busy again of late as regards the next iteration of the iPhone from Apple. One theme has been whether the next generation model will be known as the iPhone 5 or the iPhone 4S – amazing how a simple matter of a name (strictly speaking, a mere designation) could get so much media attention! Just goes to show that Apple is the master when it comes to generating free publicity if you ask me.
Leaving aside the question of iPhone 5 or iPhone 4S for now, what is the latest speculation in terms of actual features; after all this is what really matters? Well, the most important feature would have to be the processor at the heart of the phone and a dual-core A5 processor is widely expected. This would help keep the iPhone at the top of the tree as far as smartphone technology goes, as already the Motorola Atrix 4G and HTC Sensation both have dual processors.
As for enhanced connectivity, it seems that HSPA+ is the best we can look forward to, with LTE support not expected due, in the main, to the performance of Qualcomm‘s LTE chip not being ‘up to scratch’ as far as Apple is concerned.
Other rumours are that the cameras in the new iPhone will improve upon the current offering, with a better flash arrangement to improve picture quality. There have been several photos purporting to show the actual cameras and the amended arrangement, but the jury is still out on whether these are genuine. Rumours are that the rear-facing camera will be 8MP, which will no doubt help to improve on the already impressive video performance of the iPhone. See this channel on Vimeo for examples of the quality that is achievable.
As to the actual release date, it’s 50:50 on whether it will be June or sometime in September. My personal hope is for June but unfortunately it’s out of my hands!
- Don’t bet on an LTE 4G iPhone 5 this year (venturebeat.com)
- No NFC for iPhone 4S/iPhone 5 claim analysts (slashgear.com)
- iPhone 4S: 8MP OmniVision Camera, No LTE Due To Qualcomm? (pocketnow.com)
- Pictures of iPhone 5 Camera Components Leaked (Report) (chatootsboots.wordpress.com)
- More rumors that iPhone 5 may be 4S (news.cnet.com)
- Apple iPhone 5 will have an 8 megapixel camera, confirms analyst (dialtosave.co.uk)
- “iPhone 5 Is 4S No LTE But Sprint & T-Mobile” and related posts (phonesreview.co.uk)
- Rumour mill: Apple’s iPhone ‘5’ to be called ‘4S’? (guardian.co.uk)
- iPhone 5, or is it 4S these days, won’t come with NFC functionality – Report (edibleapple.com)
- Apple iPhone 4S, Not iPhone 5? (slashgear.com)