Today is “Steve Jobs Day” in the State of California, USA. It is also the day that Apple is holding a private memorial service for its co-fonder, who sadly died of complications after years of battling pancreatic cancer.
Apparently, California Governor Jerry Brown tweeted Friday night that this would happen.There have been numerous calls for an official “Steve Jobs Day” to be instituted across the USA, so whether this move by California will make that more likely is anyone’s guess. It would be unusual though for someone is known more for his business achievements to be honoured in this way. After all, everything Steve Jobs did cannot measure up to the likes of Martin Luther King for example. That’s not to say that Steve didn’t have a huge impact on the lives of many people, not just Americans but also around the world. He did, but in a different sort of way. He made our lives better in terms of technology and how we use it but he didn’t improve human rights directly or discover a cure for cancer.
As much as I appreciate Steve and all he achieved, I personally don’t think that a national day of celebration is what he deserves, nor, to his credit, do I think Steve would want there to be one.
- October 16th will be Steve Jobs Day in California (thenextweb.com)
- California Declares ‘Steve Jobs Day’.. Oct 16th (REPORT) (chats-blog.com)
- October 16th is “Steve Jobs Day” in California, private memorial planned (tuaw.com)
- California Declares Oct. 16 Steve Jobs Day (seeingfuture.wordpress.com)
- Steve Jobs Day of the Day (geeks.thedailywh.at)
- Sunday Is Steve Jobs Day In California (AAPL) (businessinsider.com)
- California Declares Oct. 16 as Steve Jobs Day (mashable.com)
- California Governor Declares Oct. 16 ‘Steve Jobs Day’ (foxnews.com)
- California governor declares October 16 as Steve Jobs Day (electronista.com)
- California governor Jerry Brown declares October 16th to be Steve Jobs Day (100gf.wordpress.com)