If you happen to use the hField Wi-Fire Long Range Wi-Fi Adapter and use Leopard on your Mac, whatever you do, don’t upgrade to Lion, just yet. The problem is that once you upgrade to Lion your Wi-Fire will no longer work.
This is a real pain and according to hField, Apple have yet to help them fix the problem. Seems its something to do with the 64 bit kernel in Lion. Apparently the instructions Apple have issued to developers for updating their apps for Lion don’t seem to work, at least as far as the Wi-Fire is concerned.
Now, as some of you know, I am the Official UK Reseller of the Wi-Fire, and so this is something of a blow, both in terms of its impact on would-be customers who sue Lion and those thinking of upgrading. It also affect existing customers who have upgraded to Lion only to find they can no longer use their Wi-Fire. Now, you may be asking, why don’t they just use Airport? Well, usually customers purchase the Wi-Fire because they can’t get a decent and reliable signal using Airport or other external adapters. So, reverting to using their built-in card or another brand of external adapter isn’t an option in most cases.
Of course, wishing to everything possible to help my customers I have searched high and low for a solution. As yet, I haven’t found one and Apple certainly don’t seem interested. hField are waiting on Apple, whilst Apple seem to be taking their time to respond.
In the meantime, the only viable solution is to either downgrade to Leopard or Snow Leopard. Rather than uninstalling Lion my advice is to use VirtualBox to run Snow Leopard alongside Lion in a virtualisation set-up.
Download VirtualBox for free here: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
Follow walk-through here: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/virtualbox-running-windows-on-a-mac-for-free-sort-of/
- VirtualBox 4.1.8 brings fixes for 3D support (h-online.com)
- VMware Fusion now virtualizes standard builds of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard and 10.6 Snow Leopard (tuaw.com)
- A VirtualBox Server With Nothing To Do (ask.metafilter.com)
- VirtualBox interferes network sharing between Windows 7 and Windows XP (binglongx.wordpress.com)
- Installing VirtualBox on Backtrack 5 (dwijaybane.wordpress.com)
- VirtualBox for Windows is a Free Useful Program (beast4romtheeast.wordpress.com)
- Apogee Duet 2 in Windows using VirtualBox (gearslutz.com)
- Virtualbox and Ubuntu Unity (kahmor.wordpress.com)
- VirtualBox for Multi-platform Development (ederweber.com)
- Mac OSX in VirtualBox (Works in Windows and Linux) (icehot.wordpress.com)
- VirtualBox 184.108.40.206713 (jaskarantrickscentre.wordpress.com)
- VirtualBox from an existing partition (stackoverflow.com)
- Installing Windows 8 on VirtualBox (standalone-sysadmin.com)
- How to Test Drive Windows 8 in VirtualBox – How-To Geek (matthewsnewell.wordpress.com)
- VMware Fusion 4 hands-on: Lion, Windows 7, Windows 8, and more (arstechnica.com)
- How can I track Wi-Fi strength (telegraph.co.uk)
- London to set up Europe’s largest free Wi-Fi network for 2012 Olympics (digitaltrends.com)
- Lovin’ Free Wi-Fi (escapeeatenjoy.com)
- How Wi-Fi Works (mycricket.com)