Its been a long time since we had a refresh to the Mac Pro range of workstations (leaving aside the minor tweak in 2012). many professionals working with video or 3d graphics have already deserted Apple and bought into workstations from the likes of HP and Scan. Who can blame them.
As it did with Xserve and some of its high-end applications, Apple seems to have treated the professional with a fair degree of disdain. If it wasn’t for Tim Cook saying that a new Mac Pro was in the wings I doubt anyone would be waiting with bated breath fro an announcement at the forthcoming WWDC.
So, will we see a new Mac Pro, made in the USA and if so, what form will it take? Will it be a full tower or some sort of mini-towers as some have been speculating. Here, for its worth, are my hopes (as I hope to be the proud owner of one at some point in the near future).
- Multi-core (x4, x8, x12)
- Upgradeable graphics
- Multiple Thunderbolt ports (at least two) and USB 3
- Multi-drive slots so that RAID can be internal on a high-speed bus
Other than that it doesn’t really matter what it looks like or what else it comes with. It needs to be fast and its needs to be upgradeable, otherwise what is the point? Price-wise it would be good if the cheapest model came in below the most expensive iMac so that buyers would have the option of a powerful Mac with a built-in screen or choose to use their own existing ones or just to have the option of specifying something more suited to their needs. This is especially relevant for video-editors and the like.
Will we actually see this announced at the WWDC? if not then there had better be something said about when we will see a refresh or all hell will be let loose, that I can guarantee.
- Mac Pro: The Next Generation – what’s Apple’s next heavy iron likely to have inside? (imore.com)
- Retailers run low on Mac Pro ahead of WWDC (electronista.com)
- Mac Pro Supplies Tightening as WWDC Approaches (macrumors.com)
- WWDC 2013: Slimmer Retina MacBook Pro w/1080P camera and MacBook Air microphone improvements expected (9to5mac.com)
- Mac Pro inventory drying up pre-WWDC? What does it mean? (imore.com)
- Retail Stock Of Mac Pros Running Low Ahead Of WWDC (apple4ladies.com)
- What to expect from WWDC 2013 (zdnet.com)
- Mac Pro refresh possible as inventory dwindles before WWDC (slashgear.com)
- How Much Does the Mac Pro Need an Upgrade? The Infographic (techland.time.com)
- Dear Apple: Where Is My Mac Pro? (slashgear.com)